When your lights go out, the last thing you want is to be left in darkness. Here are 10 tips to make sure you are prepared. Your home could be struck by a blackout any time, so you need to be
1. You could cause a fire in your home by using matches or candles, so it is best not to use them. Instead you should use flashlights, make sure you have enough for everybody in your home, or at least one between two.
2. Have a wind-up or battery powered radio available. This will allow you to make plans by listening our for blackout updates and to have a source of entertainment.
3. There have been times when power cuts have lasted for days, so you need to be aware of this. Have enough batteries to see you through. Also, take note of the different batteries
4. If you are without power, then your landline will not work, even it is portable. When the power is out, if you have a mobile phone charger for your car, then that is the best way to charge your phone. When the power is out, it might be a good idea to go for a drive.However, you should try to make sure your phone is always charged.
5. Tell your energy provider about the power cut. They should be able to tell you when they’re expecting the power to go back on. Make preparations with family and friends if the power is going to be cut for a long time.
6. In the event of a blackout, you need to make sure that anyone with a medical condition or illness with be catered for. E.g. if there is a blackout will an elderly person be able to get
7. Have a kit prepared with all your essentials such as; a pen knife, gloves, plastic cutlery,fleeces, toilet roll, a large blank, first aid kit, water and food. A blackout can happen at any time, so it is advisable to always have this ready.
8. During a power cut, an oven that is powered by electricity will not work. So it is a good idea
to keep your charcoal and barbeque from the summer. This will also give you a source of heat and a place to cook.
9. Discover the room that has the best insulation, this room will ideally have a fire place. So when there is a blackout, your family can gather here.
10. Light your fire as a source of heat and light when there is a power cut. Always make sure you have enough fuel at home for this.
This post was written by Brian Madden; Virtual Marketing Associate at Crown Energy.