While some landlords may ask the tenant to clean the carpets once a year, there is no requirement under Australian tenancy law. Each lease is different from place to place and state to state. The tenant should be aware of the requirements of their lease before they spending money to have a carpet steam cleaned unnecessarily.
Most lease obligations are met by doing routine vacuuming and removing spills and stains right away. Regular cleaning will make the work much easier for the tenant when they need to end their lease and move out of the house. There are a number of over the counter stain-removal products available for the routine, normal daily living stains that occur.
When moving out at the end of the lease period, the tenant is obligated to leave the property in the same condition and level of cleanliness in which it was leased to them. In cases where bond was paid when the tenant moved into the house, most lease agreements require the tenant to clean the carpets and the entire house before they can receive their refund. Some normal wear and tear is expected. However, if there are stains on the carpet due to the tenant’s negligence, the tenant is responsible for having those stains removed.
If the tenant chooses to try to remove the stains themselves, there are ways of doing this that are not overly expensive and that will not damage the carpet. For starters, never remove stains on a carpet using a colored or printed towel. Always use a white cloth or paper towel with no printing and dab the stain lightly. Using a colored or printed cloth could result in the color from the material transferring or tinting the carpet being cleaned. Also, rubbing the paper towel or white cloth on the carpet could damage the fiber and cause a lot of wear and tear.
The most common stains on carpets are as a result of people spilling drinks or dropping food onto the carpet. If removed in a timely manner they can be pretty simple to clean up. If the stain is allowed to set in, it could be a little more difficult to clean it. Common stains are pretty easy to remove from most synthetic and natural fiber carpets.
Synthetic Fiber Carpets Stains
The following are the steps for removing common stains from synthetic fiber carpets:
1. Dip cloth into the detergent solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait 15 minutes for the stain to break down and then soak up the excess liquid with a dry white cloth.
2. For tougher stains, follow up the first step by dipping a cloth into the vinegar solution and dabbing repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait another 15 minutes. Do not skip this step as white vinegar removes residual detergent, which if left behind will attract dirt.
3. Rinse by blotting with a cloth that has been soaked in lukewarm water and wait one hour or until the carpet dries completely. You can try to speed up the drying process by using a dryer in case the spot is still wet after an hour.
4. If the stain is becoming lighter, repeat these steps until it is completely gone.
Natural Fiber Carpets Stains
1. Spray the stain with detergent solution and then blot it with a dry cloth. This should be able to easily get rid of simple stains.
2. If the stain is still visible, follow up this first step by spraying it with vinegar solution and blotting the stain with a dry cloth.
3. Spray the stain with lukewarm water in order to rinse the area.
4. Repeat these steps until the stain is no longer visible. After this, allow the area to dry completely. You can also use a dryer to help speed up the drying process in case the area is still wet.
When cleaning carpets at home, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on what products can be used on the carpet. If the above steps do not work to remove the stains, the tenant is advised to hire a professional carpet cleaning services to come in and determine the best solution for removing the stain(s). Brisbane has many different companies that provide steam-cleaning services along with dry cleaning services. The tenant should read reviews and do their research in order to ensure that they hire a credible carpet cleaning company. They should ask as many questions as possible about the services that the company offers. They should also request for a home evaluation by the company before they get a quote for the service. They should then ensure that they choose a carpet cleaning service that meets their preferences and their budget.
Mark Long is the owner of a professional cleaning service company and created his company’s manual of process and procedures for cleaning carpets. When he became a freelance writer, he began writing articles featuring end of lease cleaning in Brisbane and other stain removal processes.