Online dating can be a challenge for us all, with so many different platforms, apps and people out there. As much as we’d like to think we don’t need help when it comes to finding love, the truth is we could all use a little help sometimes. We’ve rounded up some of the best secrets to mastering the art of online dating.
Get advice from the experts
The first way that you can secretly master the art of online dating is to learn from the best. There are a number of different experts who’ve built a whole career off of giving people help finding the one. So, if you’re looking for some extra tips, try getting some online dating tips from those who know best. They can offer insights that are based on years of experience giving advice on everything from online dating profiles to date ideas and dealing with rejection. Let them give you the secrets of online dating without you having to make the mistakes they’ve probably seen over and over.
Ace your profile
So much of your success with online dating will be reliant on your profile. In many ways, your online dating profile is the first impression you give off, seeing as it’s the first thing someone will see when they virtually “meet” you. So you want to make sure it’s good. When thinking about your profile, try to be as transparent as possible – in all areas:
- Photos: you want your photos to show off who you are, so as well as showing off your best angles, you want people to see what you love. What are your hobbies, interests and passions? If you can include those in the photos on your profile, that’s how you’ll create the best image of yourself.
- Bio: the words you provide on your profile needs to have a good balance of information, personality and fun so that whoever comes across your profile will get a good sense of the kind of person you are. And don’t be afraid to use emojis – they’re fun, easy and save on your character count!
Work out what you want from your online dating experience
This is an extremely simple yet underrated secret. Working out what it is you’re looking for is crucial in having success when online dating. The great thing is that many apps and sites offer you the chance to include an option in your profile for the type of relationship you’re looking for so they can give you better matches. This feature is definitely worth using as it can filter out people who are looking for different things.
For example, if you’re looking for a quick, casual fling, then you can make that clear on your profile. Say that you’re looking for a bit of fun, with no strings attached, with fun photos of you going out and having fun. Whereas if you’re ready for the real deal, the best way forward is to try to show your authentic self on your profile, in the hopes that it’ll connect with someone with the same intentions as you.
Okay, this one may sound obvious, but you’d be surprised at how many people struggle with this. We all want to present a good version of ourselves to potential matches, however, it’s important to make sure that version actually exists. You won’t get very far with a facade on your profile or in your chats, because you won’t be able to keep it up forever. Plus, relationships can’t be built on lies or exaggerations, so if you’re really committed to finding love, you’ll know to keep it honest and open.
We understand that it can be daunting being honest over the phone, but it’s the best way to forge real connections that you can get something out of. The best things are always on the other side of fear – so feel the fear and do it anyway, it’s well worth it if you could find love out of it.
Keep an open mind
Just as you should be in real-life relationships, keeping an open mind when it comes to your online dating life is just as important. You never know who you might meet, and its vital to not judge people too much off of first look. Online dating is shallow by nature, with many apps offering only a few photos and minimal information as the first impression from which you make a decision, and you could be missing out on someone you could really get on with if you make your decision based purely off looks.
The big secret here is to try to match with people who sound like a good match for you, rather than who looks like a good match for you. Unless you’re looking for something fun and casual, appearances are just one of many areas that you need to connect on, so try not to be too focused on that area.
Know when to move on
You’re going to hit a few hurdles when online dating, and that’s just an inevitable part of the whole process. The real secret is to know when to give up. There is a range of different scenarios that may need you to make a call on. These include:
- If someone is too persistent or aggressive – you should never tolerate abuse of any kind when online dating, and if someone crosses a line, block them and report them to the site or app you’re using.
- If there’s no connection – sometimes things just don’t click. And that’s okay, but you should probably nip it in the bud if you realise this. It’s not fair on both parties to carry on talking, as you shouldn’t waste your time, and it’s not fair to lead someone on.
- If you get ghosted – this is a new phenomenon where people just stop replying. If you get ghosted, then the best thing to do is cut ties and accept things are over. As the old saying goes, there’s no point beating a dead horse.
Having healthy boundaries is crucial in life, and is the best way to protect your happiness, space and feelings.
And there you have it – a few secrets to mastering the world of online dating.