FUT and FUE: Which one should you consider and why?
It’s no doubt that baldness may make you feel embarrassed. Whether you are an older person or a youth, loss of hair and hair thinning can greatly affect your confidence and esteem. Besides, the bad feeling about yourself due to hair issues can bring stress. But you don’t have to bear all that since baldness isn’t the end of the world!
Whichever hair condition you are facing, baldness, hair loss, or thinning, there are specific procedures to effectively solve such issues. You can choose FUT vs FUE for permanent hair restoration. However, you should get treatment from reputable experts to avoid any worse negative side effects.
Follicular unit transplant (FUT)
The sure way to treat hair loss problems is through a hair transplant. If you have decided to undergo a hair transplant, you are provided two methods to pick from, and that’s FUT vs FUE. In the FUT procedure, your surgeon will remove a strip of tissue from the back of your head. Then, all the hair follicles from that strip of tissue are harvested. It is those hair follicles that ate transplanted into holes created on the bald parts of your head or the recipient site.
Advantages of FUT hair transplant
- It takes a short time to remove hair strips and harvest hair follicles
- FUT is the most suitable hair restoration procedure if you have a large bald area to undergo implantation
- It will not be a must to have your donor hair shave completely for hair harvesting.
- FUT produces better quality grafts with no damage
- The FUT procedure gives you a permanent natural hair look
- It exhibits a low resection rate hence yielding better results
- FUT is a cost-friendly procedure
Cons of FUT hair transplant
- After the surgery, you may take a longer recovery time compared to other methods
- You will have a visible linear scar in the donor area unless you wear long hair to conceal it.
- It may stretch your scalp.
Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
This is another hair restoration method you may consider when choosing between FUT vs FUE. In the FUE hair transplant procedure, your surgeon will take individual hair follicles out of your donor site and implant them on the scalp or where balding has taken place on your head. But shaving will be done on your donor area to allow easy extraction of strands of hair.
Your doctor will make circular incisions around each hair strand. That way, the grafts are removed for an implant without damage. Extracting each graft directly and individually from your scalp makes the FUE procedure to be time- consuming.
Once the grafts are extracted, they are inserted into holes prepared on parts of your head where balding has taken place. However, for an effective FUE hair transplant procedure, you will require to go for 2-4 hour FUE sessions over several days.
Advantages of FUE hair transplant
- It will take you a short time to recover after an FUE transplant compared to FUT
- Do you love short hair? This will be the most suitable procedure to use and restore your hair
- It is a less invasive procedure.
- No scarring on your scalp after recovery
- Simple post-treatment care is required
- FUE procedure results are permanent.
Disadvantages of FUE hair transplant
- You may be charged a higher price for FUE hair transplant if you are comparing FUT vs FUE cost
- Extraction of grafts takes longer when compared to other methods.
- Grafts may easily be damaged when undergoing the FUE procedure.
The method of hair transplant procedure to choose between FUT vs FUE and why
Have you made up your mind to seek a hair transplant? Any of the methods you pick between FUT vs FUE may be based on individual preference. But some will decide on either of them depending on specific circumstances.
Based on the pros and cons of each of the treatments, FUT vs FUE, you can decide to undergo an FUE hair transplant if your concern is the aesthetic dimension of the treatment. No scaring left after the treatment. Besides, it’s an optimal choice of treatment if you love wearing short hair. When you are looking for a heart restoration procedure that takes a short time to heal, then consider FUE. It is less invasive.
On the other hand, a FUT hair transplant will be an optimal treatment for you if you care so much about the quality of the results. Hair follicles extracted through FUT are less susceptible to damage which increases their survival rate. It will also be the best option of treatment if you don’t mind about the outward appearance of your head after the procedure due to scarring that occurs. If you are economical with time, go for the FUT procedure. Little time is taken for the extraction of grafts to be transplanted.
Whichever method of hair restoration you select between fue vs fut, rest assured it will give you natural-looking hair. You shouldn’t allow your confidence and esteem to be taken away by hair loss problems or thinning since they can be resolved. Comparing FUT vs FUE, FUE has become more popular due to its many advantages. Besides, it is less invasive.