Hair loss is a medical condition that can affect anyone, and when it happens, it affects the patient’s self-esteem. The good news is that all is not lost, and one can still restore through several available medical procedures. One of them is known as Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE transplant in short. Another name for this hair restoration procedure is FUT, which stands for Follicular Unit Transplantation. Doctors in this procedure remove hair follicles or hair grafts from the backside of the head. The part where the hair is removed is known as the donor site or area.
The removed hair is then transferred to the area where it is experiencing hair loss. If you are a man suffering from male pattern baldness, this procedure will help you get your hair back.
What factors should you consider before opting for a hair transplant?
Suppose the doctor from Beverly Hills Hair Restoration clinic observes you and conducts a few tests to establish whether you are physically fit. In that case, there are several other factors that you need to consider. Here are some of them:
- Patients who take blood thinners should point this out to the doctor before the hair transplant. This may affect the outcome of the surgery negatively.
- The doctor or surgeon who is to perform the FUE hair restoration procedure should also know whether you are using broad beta-blockers.
- A patient with preexisting medical conditions such as asthma should bring his or her inhaler to the operating room in case of an attack.
- Before the day of the surgery, the patient should avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medications for one week.
- To avoid heavy bleeding during or after the surgery, the patient needs to avoid taking vitamin B or E and any multivitamin drugs.
- If the patient is using prescription drugs like blood or heart pressure medication, he or she should continue taking these drugs until the procedure takes place.
- Smokers and those who indulge in alcohol should avoid smoking or drinking for two weeks before the procedure. Avoiding these two will help patients heal fast.
- A patient who dyes his or her hair should so three days before the surgery. To keep the scalp free from dye, the patients need to scrub and wash the scalp every day until the hair transplant surgery.
- While some doctors from Beverly Hills Hair Restoration clinic will tell you not to eat 12 hours before the surgery, others will tell you to have breakfast or eat lunch before the surgery.
- The patient should also avoid applying hair spray or any other hair product before surgery day.
- Caffeinated beverages should also be avoided on the day the surgery is supposed to take place.
How the FUE Hair Transplant Surgery Los Angeles Clinics Works
The FUE hair transplant procedure begins with the surgeon removes between 1 and 4 hair follicles when the patient is under anesthesia. A special microsurgical extraction device is used to extract the hair grafts individually. The device measures between 0.6mm and 1.0mm in diameter.
The surgeon then uses specialist micro surgical needles to puncture the scalp where the hair follicles need to be implanted. Surgeons at Beverly Hills hair restoration clinics make the implanted hair grafts look natural by implanting them in angles that match the hair flow.
The FUE hair transplant procedure goes like this:
- The surgeon starts by numbing the donor area on the scalp with anesthesia.
- The surgeon then starts making a circular incision around the follicular unit that is 1 mm in diameter. This enables the doctor to isolate a single hair graft on the patient’s head.
- After that, the doctor extracts the follicular unit from the patient’s donor area using a tweezer-like device.
This is how multiple follicular units are extracted:
- Where there is hair deficiency, the doctor drills tiny holes before the hair graft harvesting process occurs.
- The doctor then places these follicular units in these holes, where they will begin to grow gradually to produce new hair.
- When the doctor is done with the surgery, he will gently apply a disinfectant on both areas of the scalp (donor and recipient).
- The patient will have to wear a cap or a bandana to protect the head from direct sunlight.
Who Should Get the Smart FUE Hair Transplant?
- Before going to the smart hair transplant, you need to know first if you are the right candidate for this procedure.
- Doctors from hair transplant surgery Los Angeles clinics need to confirm that you are suffering from a hair loss condition that prevents you from growing hair.
- If your hair has been losing hair for several years now and you are above 25 years. You should also not have any rashes on your scalp from the loss of hair.
- When medication or drugs don’t have any effect in restoring your hair.
- If your donor area is full of hair and it’s enough for the doctor to remove a few hair follicles.
- If the patient previously suffered from a road trauma such as burns or cosmetic procedures such as a face-lift.
- If you don’t have any preexisting medical conditions that may affect the outcome of the surgery.
- If you are comfortable with the surgeon cutting your hair as it is necessary for a smart FUE hair transplant.
How Long Does the Smart FUE Hair Transplant Take?
The treated area will determine the number of sessions in the hair transplant procedure. The doctor may decide to use one long session or schedule several sessions, unlike the strip procedure, which lives visible scars. Another thing that determines the time spent on the hair transplant procedure is the number of follicle units transplanted.
Like any medical surgery, the doctor’s opinion is very important, therefore opting for this procedure, consult your surgeon first to know if you are eligible for the FUE hair transplant. Since the procedure does not involve incisions or cuts, the patient will recover very first. I hope that this article was helpful to you.